Turkey bacon is traditionally made from a brined and spiced turkey breast. It is a healthier alternative to regular bacon because it has less fat and calories, but it’s still a processed meat product with an expiration date.
So, how long is turkey bacon good in the fridge?
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) states that you can store any type of bacon raw in a refrigerator at 40 °F or below for 7 days, and in a freezer below 0 °F for up to four months.
In this article, I will tell you all about the topic of turkey bacon, and how long turkey bacon can stay fresh at room temperature, frozen and uncooked. Stay tuned to learn more about this delicious treat!
How Long Is Turkey Bacon Good In The Fridge?
Turkey bacon has a shorter shelf life than regular bacon due to its lower fat content, which makes it more susceptible to spoilage. So, it’s best to refrigerate turkey bacon once you open it and eat it within a day or two.
- An unopened container of raw turkey bacon can be kept in the fridge for up to 14 days or 2 weeks.
- An opened container of raw turkey bacon can last between 7 days or a week, or even up to 14 days or 2 weeks. It depends on the refrigeration.
- Frozen turkey bacon can stay inside the freezer for up to 6 months or half a year before it starts showing signs of freezer burn.
- Cooked turkey bacon or bacon that you deep fry and leave in the fridge should be eaten within 48 hours or 2 days.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you do eat turkey bacon after it expires, your lactic acid bacteria will not be able to process the product. You will almost certainly experience nausea and vomiting. In some cases, you might even experience diarrhea. In rare cases you can get a fever or become dehydrated. If you experience any of these symptoms, visit your doctor.
How To Store Turkey Bacon
There are many ways to store turkey bacon, but the most popular ones are the following:
1. In the refrigerator
The fridge is the most popular and safe way to store turkey bacon. And how long is turkey bacon good in the fridge? It lasts up to 2 weeks.
To be sure your bacon stays fresh, it’s best to use one of these options:
- Aluminum foil
- Airtight container
- Plastic wrap
- Cling wrap
- Heavy-duty freezer bag
- Original package
- Tupperware container
- Vacuum bags
2. At room temperature
One should not store raw turkey bacon at room temperature since the meat will go bad in a matter of a few hours.
When storing bacon out on the counter, make sure you cook or fry it. Cover it with a paper towel or cling wrap. This way, it can last up to two days at its best.
3. In the freezer
The safest option is in the freezer, but as mentioned earlier, turkey bacon can last inside for about half a year before it starts losing its texture. In the freezer, it’s best to store your bacon in heavy-duty freezer bags or shallow airtight containers.
This brilliant trick will help you preserve the whole package of turkey bacon for several months:
How Can You Tell If Turkey Bacon Went Bad?
Turkey bacon can go bad if it is not stored correctly or if it has been left out for too long. Here are the signs your turkey bacon went bad:
- Smell: If the bacon smells fishy or has a sour smell, it’s a sign of bacteria growth. The smell is a surefire indicator of how long turkey bacon lasts and should be checked first and foremost.
- Past its expiration date: Just like any fresh meat in plastic wrap, the expiration date will also be displayed on the package of turkey bacon.
- Color change: Another sign to look for is the color. If the turkey bacon appears blue, green, dark pink, red, gray, or black, it may have gone bad. The bacon should have a pink color.
- Signs of spoilage: If uncooked turkey bacon has green or blue dots on it, or any other kind of spoilage signs that seem weird to you, do not eat it.
- Texture: One sign that turkey bacon has gone bad is the texture. If you slice into it, the meat will be tough and stringy, like regular pork bacon would be after being cooked too long without any moisture.
Therefore, before using your bacon and hitting the barbecue or air fryer with it, make sure your bacon doesn’t show any signs it is spoiled.
An opened container of raw turkey bacon can last between 7 days in the fridge. An unopened container of raw turkey bacon can last for up to 14 days in the fridge.
Make sure your unopened bacon is stored in an unopened package or airtight container.
Take good care of your meat product sitting in the fridge, especially those prone to bacterial growth.
Now, I hope your question about how long turkey bacon is good in the fridge is answered. Enjoy your bacon!