I am sure that most of you like to eat cheese in some form. There are so many ways to consume cheese that it is almost impossible to count them really.
You can eat it right from the packaging, or you can use it on cheese crackers, toast, or macaroni, or to make some kind of delicious cheese sauce or cheese dip for your favorite nachos.
There are many types of cheese and many cheese products and one of the most popular is certainly the so-called Velveeta cheese.
This processed cheese product can be used in various dishes and it is mostly used as an ingredient for Velveeta cheese dip, Queso dip, or Rotel dip alongside some other types of cheese like, perhaps, cheddar cheese. That is an appetizer for nachos.
But what if you have some extra Velveeta cheese on your sleeves? The legitimate question arises of whether can you freeze Velveeta cheese to prolong its shelf life.
The short answer is “yes”, but you also have to know some other piece of information in order to do the thing properly. So, it is best to continue reading this interesting article.
So, Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
Can you freeze Velveeta cheese? Well, I have to be honest that this one tricky question. Generally speaking, you definitely can freeze this type of cheese just as you can freeze ricotta cheese but it is the question in what state you will find it when it defrosts.
This processed cheese product with lots of preservatives is produced by a company called Kraft Foods.
And they do not recommend you freeze it. That is the statement that is written on its original packaging. The reason for this is very logical.
If you freeze it and defrost it, the texture changes because of crystallization. The texture will become grainy and that is certainly not the kind of texture that you want your cheese to possess.
But, there is a catch, so stay in this article to find out why you can still freeze cheese and find out what is the best way to do that and what is the best way to defrost it properly.
But, How To Properly Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
Although you will probably ruin the texture of your Velveeta cheese after you defrost it, it really doesn’t matter if you melt that cheese after you thaw it. So, as you can see, in this case, you are free to freeze Velveeta cheese, and you are going to do that by following these steps.
1. STEP: First, it is essential that you remove Velveeta cheese from the original packaging because it is not suitable to freeze in that packaging.
2. STEP: Your next task is to slice the cheese into smaller pieces because it will be easier for you to use it once you decide to thaw it. (I do the same thing when freezing mozzarella cheese.)
3. STEP: After that, you must wrap your cheese using cling wrap or plastic wrap. You can also use aluminum foil. It is best to use two layers of wrap in order to prevent your cheese to become dry and hard.
4. STEP: Once you have wrapped Velveeta cheese, you can place it into some kind of freezer bag or freezer-friendly plastic bag. You can also use some kind of freezer-safe container or airtight container.
5. STEP: After you put your Velveeta cheese into the bag or the container, you have to suck out all the excess air and then seal it tightly.
6. STEP: When you have sealed the bag or the container, it is a good idea to label it with the storage date in order for you to know how long it can stay there in the freezer.
7. STEP: And, of course, the last step is to put your Velveeta cheese at the back of the freezer where the temperature is much lower than the room temperature. And, finally, you can close your freezer and let it do its job.
So, because Velveeta cheese does not possess a long shelf life, if you want to extend it, it is best to freeze it. That way it will last for about 2-3 months in the freezer.
How To Thaw Velveeta Cheese?
After you remove your Velveeta cheese from the freezer and before you put it in the crockpot, you must first thaw it properly.
Just like the question of whether can you freeze Velveeta cheese and how to do it is very legitimate, the question of how to thaw frozen Velveeta cheese is also very logical.
The best place to thaw your Velveeta cheese is definitely the fridge, especially if you want to use it another day. So, how long can Velveeta cheese last in the refrigerator?
Well, it is best to store Velveeta cheese in the refrigerator overnight, i.e. about 12 or more hours. I would also recommend you leave the cheese wrapped to retain the moisture. According to the USDA, “it’s best to plan ahead for slow, safe thawing in the refrigerator”.
After that, you can freely put it into the microwave in order for it to take back its consistency. If you want to know how to melt cheese in the microwave, I covered that as well.
But, it is best to unwrap it and place it in the saucepan on low heat and slowly melt it and use it in your favorite cheese dip or any other cheesy dish within 2 days.
Where Can You Use Velveeta Cheese?
There really are a lot of dishes that are ingredients including Velveeta cheese and you can easily buy your favorite cheese in any grocery store, supermarket, or on amazon if you like.
One of the most important characteristics of this type of cheese is that it can melt easily and that it is mostly used in that form.
So, as I already said, it is really not a problem that it will lose its texture and consistency due to the freezing and defrosting because it will probably be melted after all. So, here are some delicious dishes with Velveeta cheese worth mentioning:
1. Chili dip: Incredibly delicious cheese dip that is best served hot alongside tortilla chips, some veggies, and French bread.
2. Velveeta macaroni and cheese: This delicious and comforting dish is a very creamy one and it can include some yummy ingredients like bacon bits, ground beef, peas, or carrots.
3. Rotel dip: This incredibly creamy and delicious dip has some amazing ingredients like green chilies, ground beef, Rotel tomatoes, and a bit of taco seasoning. It perfectly goes with chips and veggies.
4. Grilled cheese sandwich: One perfect and simple comfort food with just two main ingredients that include your favorite piece of bread and melted Velveeta cheese on the top.
5. Cheese soup: If you want to add some flavor and creaminess to your soup, then Velveeta chees is an ideal solution. You can also add some bacon if you want for some extra flavor.
The Bottom Line
All in all, together we can conclude that it is not so bad to freeze Velveeta cheese after all. The fact is that it is not good to put any type of cheese into the freezing process because you will ruin its texture.
But, that only counts when you plan to eat the cheese right from the packaging. The fact is also that Velveeta cheese is one of the best types of cheese for melting and when you melt the cheese, its changed texture doesn’t really matter.
So, I can freely suggest you that it is not a bad idea to melt your Velveeta cheese as long as you are sure to thaw it immediately after freezing.
But, even if you won’t, you can save some of its qualities by following the steps in this article, but personally, I wouldn’t recommend you freeze it in that case unless you really have to.